Friday, January 29, 2016

introducing horses to cattle

Today I am going to tell you how I started to introduce Keeno and Vegas to cattle. I will tell you why you might want to do this, how I did this, and the next step I will take with my horses. Let’s start this cattle drive.

            Why would I want my horse familiar with cows? Eventually, I want to do some cattle work with my horses. I might rope or team pen with them. Another reason to introduce horses to cows is that cows are popular farm animals. If there is a cow by the trail where I am riding, I want my horse to be fine walking by it. Those are two reasons to get your horse comfortable around cows.

            I was on Vegas and ponying Keeno on a little trail ride when I went past my friend Eva’s two cows. Keeno saw the cows and wanted to go see them. So I walked my horses up to the fence. Keeno loved the cows—he sniffed them. But Vegas was a little more cautious. Then Celeste (the cow) started to lick Keeno, who just stood there while Celeste licked and licked. I didn’t get my phone out in time to get a picture. Keeno was totally fine with the cows and Vegas settled down, too.

           I don’t know exactly how I am going to progress with cows. I don’t have cattle to chase so I would like to find a place that does team penning. Then, on a practice night, I will just go and get Vegas used to the cattle. I will have to wait till Keeno is old enough to ride, and listens to me well, before he can start to chase cows. I can’t wait!!!
    
           I am so exited to get in to some cattle work with my horses. Now you know a little about introducing your horse to cattle. If you know of any places that are good for a beginner cattle worker, please let me know in the comments.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment