Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Why I Set Goals




            Why should you set goals? That is what we will be talking about today. We will go over setting goals, working on achieving them and then achieving them. Are you ready? Let’s go!!

            When you think about setting goals, most people think long term. There are different types of goals. There are long-term goals and there are short-term goals. Setting both will make you and your horse the best you can be. When setting a goal, be realistic with yourself. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Make it challenging and something that you will be proud of. I like to set one or two long-term goals for the year. My long-term goals this year were to make it to the State 4H Horse Show and be able to do a flying lead change. I have achieved both of these. I also set short-term goals for every riding session. These goals are like teaching collection or running a personal best in barrels. A short term goal can be achieved in one day to a week. Setting short-term goals should help your quest to achieving your long-term goals.

            Now that you got your goal or goals set, it is time to achieve them. Find out what you need to complete your goals.  Do you need a new piece of equipment? Do you help gaining more knowledge on what you are trying to do? Books, youTube videos, or knowledgeable horse people can increase your knowledge. Don’t over work your goals. Keep it simple and don’t take short cuts.

            The best feeling in the world is achieving your goal. My long-term goal was to make it to the State 4H Horse Show. I worked every day on this goal. When it came time for the county fair, both of my horses were ready. Keeno and I won a state trip in the training program and will be competing in the Agstar arena at the state fair September 16th at 7:00 am. Me and Vegas did not just get a state trip—we accumulated the most points over all of Anoka County horse program members. We will be competing at the state fair September 16th through 19th. You can come support the Anoka County 4H horse state team at the state fair from the 16th to the 19th. I have never been happier than when they announced my name on the loud speaker for state trip winners.


Those are a few reasons I set goals. As we start the school year, I’m setting a goal to write more blog posts about my horses. Now just remember: set your goals, work toward your goals, and be proud of when you achieve them!








1 comment:

  1. As always Aaron, I simply enjoy all your stories and watching you achieve YOUR GOALS is rewarding to me too!!! You did great at the Anoka county fair! And by the way, congrats on qualifying with both horses to the State fair level... Keep us proud young man😀🐴🙋. Your friend, Redina

    ReplyDelete